Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Ramsey style

As many of you already know I have a love-hate relationship with Dave Ramsey. He is a financial genious in my opinion, but he makes me crazy because he puts a kink in my plan sometimes! :)

If you have not already, I encourage you to read "The Total Money Makeover" by Dave Ramsey. This book is full of a very simple plan. Now just because I said simple does NOT mean its a quick plan. Don't let those two things get confused. I do best when talking about crockpots because that is my main source of cooking. :) I google "Simple crockpot recipes" on a regular basis. These recipes just involve a few things to sprinkle in, pour in, and you chunk your meat in as well. Put the lid on, turn it on low and leave the house for 8 hours, come home and eat. Its SIMPLE...but not quick. So I don't want you to begin the process thinking that by simple I mean quick. Okay, glad we got THAT out of the way.

Dave Ramsey does not play games. He tells it like it is. Quit spending, start saving, sell everything from your clothes to plasma and put that money away!

I have always been good at getting to the FIRST step of Dave Ramsey's plan... and that is to save $1000. That part always comes easy, but then somethign happens and I need some of the money and I am always starting over. BUT... get that part out of the way. Save that money! It makes you feel so good when you do. I saved that money in less than 3 months. I was saving completely on my own, being solely dependant for all my bills so this was ME buckling down. This was me selling some leftover furniture that I needed to get rid of, having a yard sale, not keeping ANY extra money out of my paychecks to spend but transferring it ALL into savings. It CAN be done. So start with that.

We will get into the other steps later...right now I want you to save $1,000 bucks and go to your local library and check out "THE TOTAL MONEY MAKEOVER". Don't buy it... wouldn't that defeat the purpose!? :)

**Side note... since Jere and I BOTH work, we BOTH are going to save $1,000. So our emergency fund has just been doubled but its only fitting since we rely on two incomes.**

No comments:

Post a Comment