Thursday, January 13, 2011

The dreaded grocery store...

I DESPISE going to the grocery store. It used to be fun. But now it seems like it sucks up all my money and takes away an evening... and as I mentioned in my other blog (which you should also be following) I am very much a homebody so any time doing stupid things that takes me away from home makes me mad.

so... I go in and probably over spend. Now I am on a new mission... and some would say this is foolish. Its foolish to drive to 30 stores to save a buck-that I AGREE with. BUT... its not foolish to take one afternoon and go to the different stores in town and compare prices. Here's what you do...

make a list of those ALWAYS BOUGHT ITEMS. The ones that you buy every single trip to the store. For me, its cream of mushroom soup, milk, eggs, velveeta, and hamburger meat. So if I spend time going to every store to find the best deal and then WRITE down the prices I see, its an afternoon well spent. What about toilet paper? Essential.. I think so. I can find it 2 bucks cheaper if I go down the road to Family Dollar. So I don't make a special trip there, b/c that cost me gas, but when I pass by, I run in.

So do it. Make a list of what you ALWAYS buy and compare shop. It only takes one trip. Don't look at the sale prices look at the EVERY day prices. Then make your list of what to buy where. If it saves more than 10 bucks in a grocery bill and costs you less than 2 in gas... its worth it. That 8 bucks will add up! Thats 32 bucks a month. Think of what you could do with that. Thats a Christmas present. Thats a pair of jeans. Thats a tank of gas....

Be smart. Cut coupons. Buy at the cheapest places. We are ALL throwing away our money for nothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment