Monday, March 19, 2012

Dave Ramsey would be proud!

Well folks.. I sold my car! I've had it listed on Craigslist for a while and finally got a serious person that wanted to see it. She met me yesterday and drove it, and called me this morning with her final offer and I took it!

So... the Honda is going bye bye. :( Kinda sad, BUT... i'm trying to make Dave Ramsey proud.

Dave Ramsey says "SELL YOUR CAR". I've heard him say that for years and kinda let that go in one ear and out the other. I just figured it was a way of life to have a car payment. AND to have a spouse that had a car payment too. Then about a year ago I started really feeling guilty about having a car payment. yes, I HAVE to have transportation. My husband and I can NOT be a one car family. Some families can and that is TERRIFIC, but we simply can't. There is NO logical way that would ever work for us. So I began praying about it. I knew that by selling my car I would be 100% debt free. I would owe nobody NOTHING and I knew that would be a terrific feeling.

My dream car is a car that I won't be able to afford for quite some time, but how much QUICKER I could own my dream car (AND pay cash for it) if I sold mine. I have been faithfully paying on mine double and triple time over the past year. Finally I am WAY over what I owe. So I knew then that I could sell it, get a profit, and then turn around and pay cash for something==so that is EXACTLY what I am going to do.

The car I am buying is by no means by dream car, BUT, it's going to be a good one. (I pray.) It's a 2003 Mitsubishi Lancer. It has 86k miles on it which is significantly less than my Honda, but it is an older car. Dave Ramsey says to "buy a beater." Well, I can't exactly buy a beater, but i can buy something nice, decent, clean, and in good shape that will get me where I need to go WITHOUT having a car payment.

another thing... I will see my insurance go down significantly. Insurance on my Honda is a lot because its FULLY loaded. There isn't one more thing that could go in this car. It has it ALL. Plus I won't have to carry as much coverage.

So, today I am getting ready to bid farewell to the Honda. I'm sad because i have liked that car JUST fine, but I am more excited about selling my car, living debt free, and watching my savings grow more and more!

I understand that i'm just 27 years old, but the future is scary. Nobody knows when there jobs will be cut, when prices of gas, food, etc, will rise even more than they are now, and i don't think I will be fortunate enough to retire with social security. So, i have to handle these things on my own.

To some this will seem extreme and i'm okay with that. To others it will seem awesome. To me it just seemed like the right thing to do, the smart financial decision I needed to make, AND I felt God's hand in this situation.

So goodbye Honda, and hello Mitsubishi. :) At LEAST it's still foreign. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment