Thursday, August 23, 2012

This is how you do it!

Here's the deal... my husband should REALLY be writing this post because HE did the hard work. But, he doesn't blog, so that only leaves me to tell the story...

To flashback a bit... I sold my Honda accord for a NICE profit. I paid it off, put several k's back in the bank, and paid cash for a vehicle. DAVE RAMSEY WAS PROUD! I just know it :)

Then... it happened. I started getting the car fever. I hate when that happens. It really doesn't happen to me very often. I'm not real caught up in what I drive. In fact, i'm not at ALL caught up in what I drive. I sold a 2006 loaded (leather, nav, sunroof, blah blah) Accord and went and bought a 2003 Mitsubishi Lancer that had nothing. Not even CRUISE CONTROL! Ok?!? So I mean this is serious business here.

Anyway, so the 'new car bug' hit. I've had some dream cars in my day but never thought much more of it than it was a DREAM.

Then I realized that my dream car was not so far out of reach. I started looking online and found some good deals on vehicles. I was offered decent, but not great. money for my trade in on the "red rocket" (aka the Lancer) but I wasn't convinced I should do this. I'm cheap with my money. I don't like to spend it. I pay my bills and I want money left over. So if buying a new car meant that couldn't happen--then FORGET IT!

Okay enough of that--found the car I wanted. It was too expensive. This is where I say "Enter husband stage right." He told them that we would not buy it for more than X amount of dollars." They laughed. He stayed there for 3 hours. Finally he was shown real numbers. They were LOSING money on the car. Now I know you say that car dealers don't lose money and I would typically agree with you, but I saw it myself.

Here was the deal and "this is how you do it." (Can't work every single time, but try)...

FIND A CAR THAT THE DEALER NEEDS TO MOVE!

The car I got is considered a "luxury" car. Even though it was less expensive then the family Camry sedan sitting across the lot, it is no doubt a luxury vehicle. Not high on people's priority list right now. (That is something I don't get... why wouldn't you buy a pimped out super cool car for CHEAPER than a Camry, Corolla, Accord or Civic??? Yea---don't get it. )

So this dealership had a luxury car that had sat there for nearly a month. It had been driven by many (including me--I drove it a month ago for the heck of it...dealer didn't know that...lol) but everyone parked it right back in the spot and said "we need something more practical."

If a car is not moving, the dealer wants to work with you more. The car I purchased cost me LESS than any other car I have ever bought. It cost me less than my Altima, Civic and Accord. It cost me less than the 4-Runner. It cost me less than my husband's Ford Expedition. I purchased this car for 8,000 less than the value of it. How did i buy a fancy car for 8,000 less than it's worth unles it's about to fall apart???....

I found a car that the dealer needed to move. I found a car that not many people were in the market for. AND I (by I I mean Jere... he did all the negotiations) stood my ground on how much I would pay for it. Yes, I paid slightly more than what we said was the bottom line. But afterall, buying a car IS a game. Who is gonna fold first? That's what car buying SHOULD be called.

So there ya have it. Stick to your guns. Don't go for the obvious choice in cars... don't look at the car on the lot that has 85 brothers and sisters JUST like it sitting beside it. How are you gonna get a bargain if that's the case?

That my friends... is how you do it!

No comments:

Post a Comment